Published on:

What does New York law say about stopping and exchanging information after a crash?

Not sure of what’s required of drivers after an accident that causes property damage or injury? Basically, if you are physically able to exchange information with the other driver, then you are required by law to do so.

In New York, the law states that, if you know or have cause to know that the collision resulted in personal injury or property damage, then specific kinds of information should be exchanged with the other party or provided to police before you leave the place where the injury or damage occurred. The law requires you to provide the following:

  • Name
  • Driver’s license number
  • Insurance information, including your card, carrier, policy number and effective dates
  • Street and number of your residence

Police on the scene of a crash are also required to help the parties involved in the collision exchange information when doing so is practical and physically possible.

If a driver causes property damage where the owner of the property isn’t present, then the driver is required to report the damage to the nearest police station as soon as possible.

In any case, when an auto accident of any kind results in personal injury or property damage, the drivers are required by law to stop. Depending on the circumstances, failure to stop or failure to provide the appropriate information could result in a misdemeanor or felony charge.

If you or a loved one has been injured by a hit-and-run driver, then don’t hesitate to speak with a personal injury attorney about the available options for obtaining compensation.

At Newman, Anzalone & Newman, we understand how difficult and frustrating these situations can be. Our firm has the experience and resources to help victims of hit and run get the medical and financial support they need.

Related Posts: How are hit-and-run drivers identified?, New York City police report, in one day, 3 pedestrians killed and 2 injured, NYPD hit-and-run investigation rates are shameful, Hit and run: what’s the difference between the crime and a claim?

Contact Information